If Insync duplicates your files and folders, please report it to us immediately so that we can investigate and develop a fix.
In most cases, this happens during the initial syncing, when re-using a Google Drive or other existing folder on your computer.
Here's how to 1) remove duplicates and restore sync and 2) report the issue to Insync.
Removing duplicates and restoring sync
First of all, quit Insync and don't restart it until you've removed the duplicates and are ready to restore syncing.
Recommended: remove duplicates on Drive web and start a fresh sync with an empty folder
- On Drive web, sort the file list by Last modified descending to review the most recently-added items first (those will usually be the duplicates).
- Starting with My Drive and browsing subfolders as necessary, check the newer folders and files, trashing the duplicates.
- After removing duplicates, back up your current Insync folder (e.g., by renaming it).
- Remove the affected account from Insync.
- Add the account again, and during setup, select an empty folder, and allow Insync to download your files from Drive.
- After your files have been downloaded, you can then delete your previous Insync folder that you backed up.
Alternative approach: remove duplicates on your computer and let Insync continue syncing
We strongly recommend the previous approach, as it's usually easier, faster, and prevents the issue from recurring. With this alternative approach, duplicates may still be created for items not synced yet.
You can also search for items suffixed with (2) on your computer using your file manager. In most cases, the originals are the ones suffixed with (2). This is because Insync uploads the local one first, then downloads the one from Google Drive.
If you're on a Mac, you may try the steps in this how-to.
After deleting the duplicates, you can start Insync again, and it will delete the duplicates on Drive and continue syncing the rest of your files.
Please send an email to email@example.com containing:
- A description of what happened, and any prior actions before the issue occurred.Did it happen during the initial sync, or afterwards?
- Examples of unexpected duplicates (filenames and paths)
- Please also compress, upload, and share with us the following: logs.db
- The contents of the dbs folder, located in the same place as logs.db.