- You can ignore both new and old files. Files that have been previously synced will be unsynced if it matches a rule.
- The Ignore Rule works for specific file types, folder names and relative paths.
- Entries are case-sensitive.
- One line in the Ignore Rule is one entry.
- The Ignore Rules supports full gitignore syntax.
- Ignoring symlinks is currently not supported.
Accessing Ignore Rules on the UI
Account Settings and select
2. Click on the white text box, type in the rule, and click
Apply to confirm.
Ignore rules behavior
- A previously synced file that matches a rule will be unsynced.
- A file will not be synced if it meets an ignore rule. This will be shown on the Feed tab.
Using syntax to enter the rules
- To ignore a file and folder by name, enter [file/folder name]. Note that the file and folder must have the same exact name (ie Images will ignore all files and folders with Images).
- To ignore paths, enter its relative path* to the Base Folders or its custom sync location (more details explained at the end of this article). You can access the file path from your UI's My Drive or Files tab by clicking Open Location. Right-click the file or folder and view Properties. The Ignore Rule syntax supports forward slashes (/) as path separators, so the rule to add is Submissions/Google Photos/2013).
- To ignore specific file types, enter *.[file type] as shown below. Note that file extensions are also case-sensitive.
If you're encountering any issues with the Ignore Rules, send a message via chat or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Relative paths explained:
"Relative path" means basically just the part of the full path AFTER the Base Folder path:
- C:\Users\Alex\Insync\email@example.com\Google Drive\Submissions\Google Photos\2013 (full path to be ignored)
- C:\Users\Alex\Insync\firstname.lastname@example.org\Google Drive (full Base Folder path)
The Ignore Rule to add in this case would be just Submissions/Google Photos/2013 and NOT C:/Users/Alex/Insyncemail@example.com/Submissions/Google Photos/2013.
If you synced a file/folder to a custom location, the top-level folder becomes its Base Folder.
- C:\Users\Alex\Desktop\Documents\Submissions\Google Photos\2013 (full path to be ignored)
- C:\Users\Alex\Desktop\Documents\ (Full custom location path)
The Ignore Rule to add in this case would be Submissions/Google Photos/2013 and not